Heat Map

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Waxing Gibbous

Once again another evening of Astro-photography and no sleep, and boy do I feel like I am getting old. I remember the nights when I would stay out late enjoying the night sky and still be rarin' to go the next morning. Maybe some of my blog readers recall those nights of searching for the 'perfect' spot to admire the astrological beauty of the evening. And yes, swoppin' bats still bring back the heebi-jeebies. Tonight is most definitely going to be an early to be night, unless of course I can't sleep around three in the morning than maybe I will get a few more photos to share.
Once again, no photos of Perseids but I did manage to see some really good ones. Hopefully I was able to capture some on the ol' film camera. There is nothing quite like having three cameras setup taking pictures of the night sky, but I have found that is the only way I am capable of capturing some of the events. Keep your fingers crossed when I get the CD back that I will have some good images to share.

I managed to get the telescope adjusting and re-calibrated, so I set that up early in the evening and was able to see Jupiter (along with a few moons) and of course the Waxing Gibbous Moon that overshadows us some of the time. I was not able to get any good pictures of Jupiter and once again I am kicking myself for selling my digital camera that worked so well with the telescope. At the time, I didn't realize that getting a camera setup that worked that well with the telescope was such a chore, but now I miss the camera and constantly peruse e-bay looking for another one.
This photo was taken without a polarizing filter, with an image flipping mirror and some minor digital processing was done. F/3.4 Exposure 2/17 Sec. (can only guess at the focal length)
This photo was taken with a polarizing moon filter and some minor digital processing (image flip). F/4.7 Exposure 1/12 sec.
This image is a collection of images that have been digitally 'remastered' to produce an image that amplifies the surface of the moon. One thing that I found to be interesting was there was an 8.4° rotation of the moon across the spread of images. Of course I am not a professional astrologer, so I am sure there are plenty of things "not right" with my procedures, but I thought it was an interesting Frankin-photo of an ol' friend.

2 comments:

Wrena said...

Great pix! We returned our t.scope that hooked up to our camera. Yep we wish we gave it a few more chanced before we got ride of it too. Learn the hard way but never a bad picture just might not permanently capture them.

Auntie M said...

Nice moon pictures!! Your film camera did a good job with the telescope!!