Heat Map

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trying Something New

Well, last night I decided to go setup a few cameras and see if I could possibly catch any of the action in the night sky. After taking what looked to be hundreds of pictures that were completely black, digitally processing them on the computer, scratching my head as to which direction the picture had been taken and realizing I caught nothing (well at least in consideration of meteor activity) on camera, I decided I should at least share a few of them here for y'all to enjoy, criticize, critique or what ever else you might find the urge to do...This one is a digital compilation of many images that had an exposure time of 4" (4 Seconds). Anyone know the constellation?
This is a multi-exposure of 4" (five to be exact) and if you look REALLY closely you will see three aircraft (obvious bright white and two more subdued red trails).
4" exposure of the close airplane in the previous photograph. Notice the orange glow in the lower right, that would be the City of Great Falls polluting the night sky.
Another compilation, I think these ones were a combination of 3" and 4" exposures...

5 comments:

Carin said...

Cool, are they falling stars? How long was your shutter speed on that one with the long streak? Good job.

Carl said...

I am going to make another attempt tonight with a little different camera setup and location, with the hopes of catching some falling stars.

The BIGGEST draw back of digital photography is the 4" maximum exposure length (at least with my current and past cameras) and the electronic noise problems... Most productive exposure is 10-20" with open aperture with a film camera unless you have a start tracking tripod.

Auntie M said...

It looks like you had fun even if you did not accomplish what you planned! And fun is a big part of photography!! :)

Carin said...

Are you saying 4 seconds is your exposure time?

Carl said...

Yes Ma'am, 4 seconds is my exposure time, but the preferred exposure time is around 10 to 15 seconds. Since none of my current digital cameras will take an exposure longer than 4 seconds I took multiple exposures at four seconds to get the fainter stars to show up...