Heat Map

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Y'all want cheap gas?

I am issuing a call to arms of my fellow patriots! We need to stand together on this issue and demand change from our federal government. We need to make them listen to their constituents and remind them they have a duty to check the inflation rate.

The other night I was sitting on the porch pickin out a tune on my banjo while, my good buddy Earl was a swattin' misquitoes and the dog was hosting an evening social for the neighborhood fleas, when the mail man drove my in his little jeep. I gots to thinking that if hybrid/electric vehicles are such a good idear why is the United States Postal Service not using them as fleet vehicles? Yeah I know, I live in the sticks where the internet, running water and electricity are a luxury; A pocket of society that has not advanced enough to keep all their teeth, so maybe in the "real world" these electric cars are being used by the post office.

How much does a single penny increase per gallon actually amount to for the USPS? I would have to speculate that we are talking MILLIONS of dollars here; I think that instead of increasing the cost of mailing a letter they should be a little more energy minded. I would love to see UPS, USPS, FedEX and DHL using hybrid technology on their delivery vehicles. What a great example they would be setting by using this alternative fuels approach; not to mention reducing our dependence on the black gold.

I know politicians think the solution is drilling more wells in pristine locations and tapping all these virgin oil reserves, but maybe the answer is actually change. I know, I must be mad! Call the men (and women) in the pretty white coats, I have eluded that change can be good! Maybe if we can convert the local delivery fleet vehicles to high efficiency electric vehicles that get 150 miles to the gallon (based upon the Hopla Chevy says the Volt will get) maybe gas wouldn't cost us $4.39 per gallon. Maybe we wouldn't have to waste tax dollars to attack and 'stabilize' the Sandbox Countries. Quite possibly, the sudden surge in hybrid vehicles on the streets will convince the Ignorant American Populous (IAP) that they do not need those urban assault vehicles to commute through the urban jungle to get to work and compact hybrid vehicles really are the perfect commuting vehicle.

How many of you have ridden bumper cars? A great summer attraction, right? Well if we all drove compact cars wouldn't a fender bender be just a kick in the pants and an adrenaline rush? Compact cars bouncing off one another; making life a giant pin-ball machine (who do you think is playing the game?) If we all drove beer cans, coats with wheels, compact death traps, clown cars or what ever you want to call these smallish automobiles we would only be missing the funnel cake and cotton candy for a true carnival experience...

Author's Note:
No I am not calling all urban assault vehicles owners and operators 'Ignorant', I am calling the greater American Populous Ignorant and yes that does include me. I dream of having a vehicle that is big enough that I call haul all the essentials I need and still have room for passengers. Instead I take a 5 mpg hit on gas mileage consumption by hauling a ton of gear in a smallish car; So I am not the epitome of conservation and efficiency.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Did somebody say funnel cake?

Carin said...

I know my mind is suppose to be on fuel etc., but know I'm chomping at the bit for Cheyenne Frontier Days! I hate to say it but now that we got a Suburban we are likely to stay in one. With a family of 5, stuff and trailers to tow it only makes sense. But for a single person or a couple I don't understand the need for a big SUV. And yes, we don't need to find new oil burried somewhere, we need to come up with an alternative!!! McCain is offering $300 MILLION to the person who invents a new battery operated vehicle. There ya go!