Heat Map

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Motorcycles are safe!!!

One thing that I enjoy is the deep tissue massage that is created by the wind whipping bugs (large and small) against the cheeks while enjoy the open road. Everyone likes to tell me how dangerous these vehicles are that only have two wheels, but I see things a little differently. The danger is not the two wheeled vehicle, but all the other drivers in their urban assault vehicles. Of course if my Mother read my blog, I might be forced to take a slightly different perspective.

The nice thing about motorcycles is while the rider is not protected by a steel cage, they are also more aware of their surroundings because of their lack of protection. There are no distractions caused by: the kids yelling the video player needs to be fed a new video, there are no GPS navigation devices telling you it is time to turn, you are not carrying on a phone conversation while navigating your way through rush hour, or even removing an article of clothing while operating a motor vehicle; there is just the universal fear that every driver is trying to kill you to keep you focused on the chore at hand, DRIVING! Of course there are some less than blessed with brains individuals out there who will prove me wrong by taking off their coat, answering their cell phone or in general doing something stupid that will cost them their mobility all while trying to operate a motorcycle.

I have not been avidly riding motorcycles long, but in my short time I have had at least three circumstances a year in which I, as the motorcycle rider, was forced to take evasive action to avoid being hit because of another driver's actions. Motorcycles are hard to see, easy to misjudge their closing speed and distance and very easy to hide in traffic and thus other drivers need to be more alert and aware in their climate controlled vehicle compartments, with their music blasting and all the distractions that are found in the new cars of today. If you don't think your distractions are reducing you perceptions, I challenge you to a week of driving with all the windows down, the radio turned off, no cell phone, no GPS device; I know you will realize just how much you are missing.

Spring like weather is here and so are the motorcyclists, so do everyone a favor and be careful out there. With the rise in gas prices more and more people are taking to the road on motorcycles. I know people don't mean to be disrespectful to them, we all just need to be a little more diligent in looking for the small motor vehicle that blends in oh so well. And remember some of them might be knuckle headed and split a lane at 40 mph, putting them and everyone else on the road in danger, but those idiots are the exceptions just like the distracted urban assault vehicle operators are, I am sure...

I dream of a day when all the vehicles on the road are sub-compact electric or hybrid cars and motorcycles, at least than we will be on equal in terms of kinetic energy.

No comments: