Heat Map

Monday, June 2, 2008

Tech Tip!

Full size image as blogger would create, typicalOne question that I get asked often is, "How do I block my images from being downloaded?" I know we all have those pictures that we just can't help but show off, but we don't want other people to steal them from our sites either. For all those who have wondered, here is my take on protecting images as it relates to blogging (full blown websites have other options available).
The transparent gif overlay, is one of those nerdy solutions. Some people have resorted to putting a transparent gif image over the top of their image so when the right click save as feature is employed the user in theory downloads the transparent image. The naked truth is that it really doesn't work, a screen capture or viewing the source code and the image is still vulnerable to the vultures.

Right click blocking, is a very annoying Java script routine that can be used to disable the right click menu. Weaknesses are blocking javascript destroys this protection and almost all right click menu options are available from other toolbars. All that is successfully accomplished is annoying your webpage viewers who employ the right click menu for other reasons.

Another way is to remove the ability for the image to be viewed at full size by clicking on the image, but this is not fool proof either. Still allows the thumbnail image to be downloaded directly and often a talented comp-nerd(ette) can still get to the actual image. This is done by switching to HTML edit after the picture has been added and delete a line of code that looks like this...Nah, I can't tell you all that here, you would probably mess it up and blame it on me when your blog pukes onto your keyboard. For those who are familiar with html, remove the href information from the image code; which of course you already know that. ;)
small image with no href informationAnother way to protect your images is to use a second party hosting sight and display them on your blog as a slideshow. Screen captures can still pilfer the image, but will be limited to the resolution of the slideshow and not the full image. Whole shows can be lifted by the real talented and probably even edited, but it takes more than the average Joe would have available to them.

I can go on and on, but here is what I suggest to those who want to protect their image. First, don't upload your full resolution image for hosting. Start by resizing or exporting your image as a 640 x 480 image(no bigger, smaller is good), which is good enough for most people to look at and go "woot-woo" anyways. Secondly, if you have the ability to digitally edit your images, put a translucent copyright watermark on the image. Thirdly, you have to assume that all really awesome pictures that you post will be downloaded and reused so make sure you are absolutely okay with that before uploading the image.

Image watermarking is a good way to brand your images so that when they are reused, everyone can see who watermarked the image. People like to put copyright watermarks on the edges of the images, which I do not recommend since the image can just be cropped inside the watermark. I like to place my watermarks in places that when they are cropped out the image is not that great and to use colors that would make it difficult to photoshop out the watermark. Watermarking in photoshop is real easy and is done by simply creating a new layer, setting the transparency to about 40-50% and pasting another image and/or text onto that layer. Next flatten the image and save it as a jpg file. Presto, easy as eating apple pie, well at least for those who are intimately familiar with digital editing software.
Watermarked small image with href information retainedI recommend posting images that look like this when you want to share them but still have them at least somewhat secured for re-use by all the web-vultures out there. Remember the ol' adage, make something idiot proof and someone will develop a more talented idiot. Maybe next month I will offer advice how to be a successful image vulture...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank You! 100000X over for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks...I would like to know how you can make it so when people click on it, they don't get the bigger version of the picture?

MT Foners said...

I would just like people to leave other peoples pictures alone... THEY ARE NOT YOURS... so QUIT TAKING THEM... in a grocery store or Walmart, that would be called STEALING!!!!! KEEP YOUR FINGERS OFF... AND YOUR RIGHT CLICKERS!!! if you want a photo.. ASK even if youre told no, then at least no one is annoyed with you!!!

Carin said...

I'm going to have to try this. Most photos I could really care less about but then once in awhile one comes up that I would like to keep protected... at least somewhat protected. I like your quote about developing a more talented idiot - too funny!

<3 Sierra said...

I am glad that you are showing us this so that other people can't steal our pictures. Or I'll just sic mt foners on them. They'll straighten them out! :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Good info, Carl. I guess I don't much care if people take my pictures as long as it's for pure and edifying reasons unless they would copyright them and then sue me for using them. They wouldn't do that, right?!?!? Someone warned us about pictures of children being used in unpure ways and that bothers me a lot. Is there a way to tell if someone is stealing your photos? In WordPress, we have the "unlink" option which removes the ability to get the larger image, at least for the dumbest of idiots like me. I'm sure there are ways... it amazes me that there are people that would actually spend time trying to figure out those kinds of things.

Auntie M said...

I am with Amy, if you can use any of my pictures in your projects or card making - I'm happy you can and glad that you like them enough that you want too... but then I am not a professional. Any pictures that I do not want anyone to have, I will not post! Easy does it - no stress, no strain!!