Heat Map

Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Do, but I Don't...

I can hear the squeaks of the chairs all the way over here in my little world; I can tell I got some of you squirming around a bit with my last post. For those who are wondering, I am not looking for multiple wives; I would take one that shared the same convictions of the heart and that would be all that I would need.

As has been brought to light in the past few weeks, there is some very serious crimes being committed from behind the curtain of the First Amendment. Standing behind the freedom of religion that this country holds so dear and that we all enjoy and committing unthinkable atrocities against other human beings should not be tolerated nor should they be allowed to continue. Can we as a society maintain the First Amendment freedoms and still crack down on these crimes? Will it result in religious persecution? Will it look like a ‘witch’ hunt? Will we single out certain people because of their name, their appearance, or how they live?

We (society) have this mind set that all we have to do is make something illegal and the problem will go away; that the police forces are strong and populated enough to keep illegal things from happening; but that my friend is where we are drastically wrong. The simple swipe of the pen on Capital Hill will not drastically change society. I don’t care if it is the passing of an ‘Economic Incentive Package’ or changing the legality status of an issue, problems can not be simply solved with legislation. An educated fool would think that we would be able to learn from our mistakes and realize that just like prohibition of alcohol didn’t stop the issues surrounding the misuse of the substance, but just like the moth we think a different porch light will have different results. Similar actions will not result in significant changes in outcomes.

Isolated compounds where one person’s ideas are practiced, taught and instilled in the developing minds of children without any outside social influences allows for no other alternatives than a perpetuation of that person’s ideas; do we want to call that religion? We all have different ideas of what religion is to us, but what should it be for the masses? If you convinced five couples to move into your house and taught them your ideas and thoughts and further convinced them that you had ‘divine’ insight, would that be religion? Would that give you the cloak of immunity offered by the First Amendment? Without providing any labels or names, is it a stretch to say that the teachings of an individual are by definition a religion?

Now for all you guys who thought you could rush right out and get you another wife and prepare for your move to my Montana Compound; that is not going to happen. There is no Church of Fred that will welcome you with open arms.

Now I don't expect everyone out there to agree with my ideas and thoughts on issues in today's society, but I do expect that we all formulate our own ideas and opinions of the issues. After all, even a busted watch is right twice a day. Just some thoughts and questions inspired by the lastest issues rattling around inside my thick skull. Take em or leave em, that is your choice but whatever you do DO NOT just assume that I am correct!

2 comments:

Traci K said...

Don't get me started on the Mormon's or I could add a page or 2 to your rant! Have you read the book "Under the Banner of Heaven"? It's a real eye opener as to what they believe. It's basically modern day brainwashing and I'm glad somebody finally busted them. You can't hardly call it religion when they're raping and beating under age girls. Very sad situation.

Wrena said...

I really think it would be kind of you to share your diamond plate!! I really like it and want some too!