Heat Map

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Taking Chances

Think about the biggest chance you have ever taken in life? What was it that gave you the courage, the confidence, the comfort or even the ability to take that chance? Of course I don't expect people to disclose this information.

Some people consider the big chances they have taken are the ones where they have ventured down pathways that have completely changed their personal lives. Others would consider their big chance as a huge career decisions. Some might even consider their chance to be one taken on Vegas odds. The stakes and the outcomes are different for every one of us, but they all have the same basic building blocks; the only difference is whether or not we take those chances.

There are so many things in life that have some level of chance to them; one might even go as far as to say that everything has a little bit of chance. The best part about chance, there is no amount of statistical analysis that can accurately determine the outcome. Merely taking the chance is a victory in itself; one can contemplate, cogitate, ponder, scheme, plan and even dream big, but nothing gets accomplished without some effort being made to change the outcome.

I like to hedge my bets and take the chances that I know are low risk, well maybe when it comes down to my personal life that is my risk management approach. Taking chances on investments doesn't seem to bother me that much, or even running into burning buildings, but going out on a limb for changes in my personal life is almost completely foreign to me. Maybe it is just my gianormous fear of failure combined with all my past experience that comprise my kryptonite.

Well, that is probably way more sliver of me than you all wanted to know...